3 Easy Ways to Move to Australia Without a Job Offer

Living and working down under has its benefits. An abundance of possibilities, a stable economy, and excellent quality of life is why thousands of immigrants flock to Australia each year.

young copule on a van

If you don’t have a job offer but are determined to move to Australia, here’s how to do it.

Nuts and Bolts

Erudite, highly competent individuals who can contribute to the Australian economy have several immigration options even without a job. This is because the wide brown land needs qualified workers who can help the country prosper.

Are you unable to find work in Australia before moving? Then the Australian government’s SkillSelect program is for you. This scheme helps you demonstrate that you possess the necessary skills and certifications to work down under.

The Australian authorities created SkillSelect to evaluate your talents using a point-based system and pick you if you have the appropriate skillset. The guys use the following criteria to award points to you:

  • Command of English – As an applicant, you must take the IELTS test to demonstrate your English language proficiency. You get 20 points if you score eight or more bands.

  • Age – Scores are assigned based on your age group. People between 25 and 32 receive the most points, while those beyond 45 receive none.

  • Skilled employment – In the Skilled Occupations List, you will earn points based on your years of experience. This criterion comes with a maximum score of 20 points.

  • Australian qualifications – If you have a qualification from an educational institute in Australia, you’ll earn five points. You must have taken the course at an Australian institute when you were down under. You should also have spent at least two years studying.

  • Educational qualifications – Points are awarded based on your highest education level. Your qualification must be connected to your specified occupation to receive points. A Ph.D. will earn you 20 points, while a bachelor’s or master’s degree would earn you 15 points.

  • Community language skills – If you have translator/interpreter skills in one of the country’s community languages, you will receive five additional points. The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) must acknowledge these language skills in Australia.

  • Regional study – regional study earns you an extra five points if you’ve lived and studied in a small town in regional Australia.

  • Skills and qualifications of your spouse/partner – If you included your spouse/partner in your application and they’re not an Australian resident/citizen, their skills can be added to your total points. You’ll get another five points if your spouse/partner meets the Australian General Skilled Migration’s fundamental standards, such as age, nominated occupation, and English language competency.

  • Professional Year – If you completed a professional year in Australia during the last five years, you’d receive another five points. A professional year requires you to participate in a planned professional development program that includes formal instruction and on-the-job experience.

Australia offers the following three visas for you if you don’t have a job before you emigrate:

  • Australia Skilled Independent Visa Sub-Class 189

  • Australia State Sponsor Visa Sub-Class 190

  • Family Sponsorship Visa

Australia Skilled Independent Visa Sub-Class 189

The Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 scheme doesn’t require a job offer or sponsorship from an Australian territory or employer. This programme assesses your credentials, including your age, education, employment experience, language proficiency, and talents. You’ll receive points for these qualifications and are nominated accordingly.

Before applying under this category, you must first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this both in and outside Australia.

Australia accepts applications if you’ve been invited. To be considered, you must:

  • Have experience in one of the nominated occupations mentioned on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List

  • Get a skills assessment report for that job from an authorized authority

  • Be aged younger than 45

  • Submit an Expression of Interest

  • Meet health and character standards

  • Score at least 65 on the points test

  • Pass the Skills Assessment Test

You must apply for this visa within 60 days after receiving an invitation. This visa takes four to seven months to process if you’ve met the required submission and documentation processes.

Australia State Sponsor Visa Sub-Class 190

An Australian state or territory must nominate a candidate for the Sponsored or Nominated visa subclass 190 so that they’re eligible for an Australian PR visa. As an applicant, you have to choose an occupation from a list of options published on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List. Your talents must be relevant to the eligible skilled jobs in demand in that Australian region.

If an Australian state or territory nominates you, you are eligible for this visa. It has the same benefits as the Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189). As for the application procedure, the requirements are equivalent except for having expertise in a nominated occupation on the Skilled Occupations List.

You must choose a Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL) job and submit your profile together with the necessary papers. Your abilities have to be relevant for the eligible skilled vocations in demand in that region of Australia. These are other requirements you have to meet:

  • Achieve an IELTS language test score of six or above
  • Score a minimum of 60 points in the points test
  • Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to the Australian immigration office
  • Obtain health and police clearance certifications

You can expect an average processing time of seven to 13 months for this visa type.

Family Sponsorship Visa

Under this program, you can move to Australia without a job if you have a family member who is a permanent resident or Australian citizen. You can use this option if your spouse, sibling, parent, or other close relative is willing to sponsor your PR visa. It’s unnecessary to have a job offer before relocating to the country under this program.

Does all that sound complicated rather than easy? Our immigration experts at UIS Australia are more than happy to help. You can get in touch with us here.

Ron Ford

Ron Ford immigrated with his family to Australia in 2005 to work as a social worker. Following their difficult immigration process, he slowly turned to blogging and creating content about immigration: "…As a family of 5, we struggled to make ends meet. I was working around the clock and Clarissa was working in housekeeping any time she could spare. The move to Australia completely changed our lives, but it cost us a lot of money, time, and tears. Ever since I've wanted to help others on their journeys the way I wished someone had helped us".

More Posts