Family Visa Australia – Experts You Can Trust

Family Visa Australia

One of the most resilient and oldest institutions in society is the family. This is perhaps the reason why humans are wired to connect and be with their families. For those that are separated by distance, it can be lonely. But fret no more, because, with Family Visa Australia streams, you and your loved ones can be reunited again.

Australia is home to many immigrants. So, to bring family members together, the Australian immigration department has introduced the Family Visa streams.

Bringing a partner or family to Australia

If you’re one of the many immigrants who want to sponsor your family or partner to Australia, you can use the Family Visa. Otherwise, if you have a family member living in Australia, you can also use the same visa stream to travel and even live or work in Australia permanently.

Depending on what’s suitable for your situation, there are different types of Family Visa Australia or Partner Visa Australia options you can choose from.

Explore visa options for joining your family in Australia

Family Sponsored Visas

The Parent Visas

This visa allows parents to permanently reside in Australia if they have an eligible child who can sponsor them. To be an eligible sponsor, the child must be any of the following: an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an eligible citizen of New Zealand. The sponsor must also be living in the country for at least 2 years and must not have any criminal records.

There are two types of Parent Visas: The Subclass 103 – Permanent Parent visa and Subclass 870 – Temporary Parent visa. Both subclass visas have a validity of up to 5 years.

   A. Permanent Parent Visa – Subclass 103

With this visa, you can move or stay in Australia permanently and even apply for citizenship if eligible. To apply, you must prepare the following Australia family visa requirements:

  • Be outside of Australia upon application

  • Have a child who’s eligible to sponsor you

  • Meet all the required visa conditions

  • Not be a holder of the Subclass 870 – temporary parent visa upon application

   B. Temporary Parent Visa – Subclass 870

With this visa, you can visit the country for up to 3 to 5 years. You can also extend this visa for a maximum period of 10 years. Unlike the permanent visa, holders of this visa are not permitted to work in the country. To apply for this visa, you must:

  • Have an approved sponsor

  • Complete an online application

  • Complete your visa application within six months after your sponsor has been approved

  • Meet all the required visa conditions

The Child Visa – Subclass 101

This visa allows an eligible parent to sponsor his/her biological child, stepchild, or adopted child to migrate to Australia as a permanent resident. If approved, the child can travel to and from Australia, study and work in the country, and enroll in Medicare. To apply, the child must:

  • Be a dependent of an eligible parent sponsor who has Australian citizenship or permanent residency, or a New Zealand permanent residency

  • Be under the age of 18, or a full-time student and must depend financially on the parent, or over 18 and unable to work due to disability

  • Be single

  • Be outside Australia upon application

If the sponsor parent has more than one child, each child must submit separate applications. If eligible, they are also entitled to apply for citizenship, eventually.

Partner Category Visa

The Prospective Marriage Visa – Subclass 300

This visa is for applicants who want to come to Australia to marry a prospective spouse. The validity of this partner visa Australia is only 9 months and the marriage must take place before the visa expires. With this visa, you can stay in the country until its validity, as well as work and study at your own expense. To qualify, you must:

  • be 18 years old or older

  • be sponsored by an eligible citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand

  • marry your fiancé before the visa expires

After marriage, you are eligible to apply for a Spouse Visa if you decide to remain in the country permanently.

The Partner Visas

Partner visa Australia is for applicants who want to join their spouse or partner in the country. As the name suggests, it is intended for married couples or de facto partners. To be eligible, your sponsor must be a citizen or a permanent resident of Australia, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Two types of partner visas are available: subclass 820 – temporary visa and subclass 801 – permanent visa.

A. The Temporary Partner Visa – Subclass 820

This is the first step you should secure before you can apply for a permanent partner visa Australia. This visa lets the spouse or the de facto partner of an eligible sponsor live in Australia on a temporary basis.

With this visa, you are entitled to live, study, or work in the country while waiting for your permanent visa. You can also travel to and from the country numerous times and attend free English language courses. The processing time for this type of visa usually takes 23 to 28 months. To apply for this visa, you must:

  • Be in Australia upon application

  • Be in a genuine relationship with your sponsor (who can be your de facto partner or spouse)

  • Meet character, health, and security requirements

For married couples, the following additional requirements are needed:

  • You must live together in the same house on a permanent basis

  • You must have a valid marriage under the Australian law

  • You must both be 18 years old or older

For de facto partners, the following additional requirements are also needed:

  • You must be in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months

  • You must not be married to each other

  • You must not be related by blood

  • You must live together or be with each other regularly

  • You must both be 18 years old or older

B. The Permanent Partner Visa – Subclass 801

The permanent partner visa Australia allows you to have a permanent residency in the country. It also allows you to live, work, and study in the country indefinitely. You can also travel in and out of the country as you please. You may also enroll in Medicare, Australia’s program for healthcare, sponsor relatives to be permanent residents and eventually apply for citizenship.

The processing time for this type of visa usually takes 11 months to 20 months. To apply, you must:

  • Be a subclass 820 – temporary partner visa holder

  • Continue to be married or in a de facto relationship with your sponsor

How can we help you apply for the Family Visas?

If you want to have a stress-free time in processing your family visa, it is best to seek professional help from a reputable company that provides visa services to Australia. With the help of the immigration experts at UIS Australia, you will reap many benefits.

  • You can avoid delays in the submission of your visa application.

  • You will have a proper understanding of the regulations and norms of Australia.

  • You will receive assistance with document collection, C.V optimization, immigration profile optimization, legal issues, and more.

Contact us today to learn more about how you can easily apply for your visa.


A Family Visa for Australia is given to individuals who have family members who are citizens or permanent residents of the country. This allows eligible sponsors to bring their children, parents, partners, and other family members in Australia subject to certain conditions.

Under the Migration Regulations 1994 (Cth) and Migration Act 1958 (Cth), an eligible person can sponsor his/her family members, relatives, fiancé, or partner to live in Australia. An eligible sponsor can be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who is lawfully living in Australia for a minimum of two years.

If you are an eligible Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor your children, parents, relatives, and partner to be with you in Australia. Alternatively, if you're migrating to Australia, you can use Dependent Visas to bring your family with you.

To apply for a partner visa, you must first obtain a sponsorship from your eligible spouse or de facto partner who is a citizen or a permanent resident in Australia or New Zealand and has been living in Australia for at least two years. Both you and your sponsor must be 18 years old or older and must have met in person.

You must also provide documents proving your relationship such as a statutory declaration of a witness, pictures proving that your relationship is real and ongoing, joint bank accounts, etc. 

The length of time to process a partner visa depends on several factors such as your promptness in submitting the necessary documents, the time spent to check the information and documents you submitted, and many more.

For subclass 820 - temporary partner visa, the average processing time is between 23 months to 28 months. While for subclass 801 permanent partner visa, the average processing time is between 11 months to 20 months.

If you are a citizen or a permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand, and have been staying in Australia already, you are eligible to sponsor your partner. For partner visas, your partner should be married to or in a de facto relationship with you. However, if in the last 5 years your partner has sponsored someone else, he/she will not be allowed to be your sponsor.