How to Extend Your Stay in Australia

Australia is easily one of the top migrant destinations in the world. But if you clicked on this blog post you probably already knew this. You may have already been calling it your home. Now that your stay is about to end, you must be wondering: “Can I extend my stay in Australia?”

We get this question quite often and we find that alongside simpler possibilities there are also some creative ones if your case is complicated. But we’re happy to inform you that it’s definitely possible for you to extend your stay in Australia and that there are plenty of ways to do this.

Whether it’s a career opportunity that you want to pursue, destinations you have yet to explore or you need to stay because of the restrictions set in place due to the pandemic – we hope that the list below will help you find the best solution for you. Alternatively, you can always contact our team at UIS Australia for further assistance.

A run-through of Australian visas

Depending on the Australian visa you applied for when you decided to travel to Australia in the beginning, you may have had to deal with some exhausting paperwork and procedures. The Australian immigration process can be sometimes tedious, especially for those who are not from its neighboring country, New Zealand.

There’s a wide range of visa types available for those who want to stay longer in Australia. Yours may fall under the following: working holiday visa, student visa, or temporary working permit. These are typically the ones that have a time-period stipulation.

Extension for Australia Working Holiday Visa Application (subclass 417)

If you’re in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV), then you are likely allowed to stay for 12 to 24 months. This type of visa is typically granted to those that are between the ages of 18 to 35 years old, and who don’t have any dependents.

There is another Australia Working Holiday Visa – Subclass 462. This is typically granted to people of the same age range but from specific nations. The condition for this visa is that you cannot apply for a 2nd Working Holiday Visa after the first one expires (if you do have a 462 WHV, there are other options available below).

If you own the 417 WHV, you may be eligible to apply for a 2nd or 3rd Working Holiday Visa. This depends on whether you meet the eligibility requirements for the other Working Holiday Visas, and if you haven’t breached the conditions of your existing WHV. You can read about the Working Holiday Visa Australia requirements here.

Extension for Australia Study Visa (subclass 500)

Australia is one of the top education destinations. In fact, there are about 650,000 international students here. That’s quite a significant number for a country with a population of about 25 million.

Typically, an Australia study visa is valid for up to 5 years. Those who have been qualified for this can pursue higher education, vocational, and even postgraduate studies. The validity of your Australia study visa (or permit) will vary according to the length of courses or degree studies you choose.

The usual processing time of this type of visa can range from 2 weeks to 89 days. This is another relatively easy visa you can apply for in a short amount of time, just make sure you can stick around for up to 89 days in Australia before applying.

Once approved, you will be able to enjoy the following benefits:

  • You can study in the country full time

  • You may also choose to work part-time for at most 20 hours per week while you study

  • Additionally, you can choose to work full time during your semestral breaks

  • You can stay in the country for a maximum of 5 years, or at least for the duration of your course

To answer, “Can I extend my student visa in Australia?”, it is a definite yes. If you want to enjoy your privileges as a student in Australia, you can also file for an extension before your visa expires.

Extension for Australia Work Permit

If you already hold a temporary working permit in Australia, then you shouldn’t have too much to worry about in terms of extending your stay in the country. So long as you hold employment in the company that you’re working for, then you can keep on enjoying a work visa extension Australia.

Just in case, you should know that Australia’s economy has remained resilient despite the current global setbacks. There are still many job opportunities available, as listed on the Priority Migration Occupation List. This visa also allows you to apply for over 600 types of occupations, such as IT work, accounting, teaching, healthcare, and much more.

Just make sure to reapply for this type of visa every 4 years so you won’t lose your status. You must also maintain your position at the company you’re working for. You should also check whether you are already eligible for permanent residency.

If you are staying in Australia after Working Holiday Visa, an Australia Study Visa or other, then you will need to check whether you meet the requirements for an Australia Work Permit. Transitioning to this visa will also allow you to use a work visa extension Australia in the future.

Have we answered your question: “Can I extend my stay in Australia?”

Australia has strict immigration rules, so if you’re planning to extend your stay in the country you must think ahead.

The good news is that obtaining a visa extension is not an impossible feat. It doesn’t even have to be hard! You just need to learn about your available options and meet the requirements for your visa extension.

Each of these types of visas has their own extension processes, so be sure to find out what applies to you and what doesn’t. You can either apply for an extension or opt to apply for a different visa altogether, whichever fits your case and preferences.

If you need assistance in securing your stay in the country, we provide assistance in reviewing your current visa conditions, assisting with any inquiries, providing possible solutions, and guiding you step-by-step through the process. Let us know how we can help you stay in Australia today!

Ron Ford

Ron Ford immigrated with his family to Australia in 2005 to work as a social worker. Following their difficult immigration process, he slowly turned to blogging and creating content about immigration: "…As a family of 5, we struggled to make ends meet. I was working around the clock and Clarissa was working in housekeeping any time she could spare. The move to Australia completely changed our lives, but it cost us a lot of money, time, and tears. Ever since I've wanted to help others on their journeys the way I wished someone had helped us".

More Posts